Dual Enrollment Clarification
For those of you atwho would like to enroll in Dual Enrollment (i.e., DE) classes this year, I called Meghan Oliver at Nashville State Community College, and she very graciously filled me in on all of the details. For all Juniors with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA, a DE “Basic” program is offered. This DE includes:
- One DE class for the Fall,
- One DE class for the Spring.
- The classes will each cost $435, with the Lottery Scholarship paying for $300, and Cheatham County paying for the final $135 amount.
- These “Basic” DE classes are paid in full by both the Lottery Scholarship and the county for the entire year.
However, another “Enhanced Award” is also available, as long as the student/family understands two key points:
- A minimum GPA must be maintained, or the student will lose the Lottery Scholarship money,
- The money that the student applies toward DE in both Junior and Senior Year will be directly deducted from the Hope Scholarship money that the student receives in Fall of their Freshman year in college.
This “Enhanced Award” is available, beginning Junior Year, to any student with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. The “Enhanced Award” includes:
- An additional $300 worth of Lottery Scholarship money for Fall, and
- An additional $300 worth of Lottery Scholarship money for Spring.
This means that a Junior and Senior student at HHS (or at any High School in Cheatham County) can take a second DE class per year. However, please note that these DE classes cost more than $300 per year, and that any extra money must be paid for by the student’s family.
For example, DE classes this year cost $435 per semester. So, if you would like to have your student take a second DE class, then the family would need to pay the extra $135, which would be due approximately mid-September for the Fall DE class. Another $135 will be due in 2013 for the Spring DE class.
Due to our recent drastic changes in leadership and movement of both administrators and guidance counselors, Cheatham County has not submitted a roster of registered DE students to Nashville State Community College at this time. Therefore, if you would like this “Enhanced Award” option, then please contact the HHS guidance office ASAP to fill out the necessary paperwork.